From:
Helen Alten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2010 08:08:50 -0700
There is still space in the online Exhibit Fundamentals
class that starts on Monday.

MS106: Exhibit Fundamentals: Ideas to Installation
Dates: Mar 29 through May 14, 2010
Price: $475
Instructor: Lin Nelson-Mayson
Location: Online at www.museumclasses.org

Nearly every museum develops exhibits, but how can we
improve communication with visitors while taking care of
our objects? Exhibit Fundamentals explores exhibits from
idea to final installation in a variety of settings. Topics
include exhibit theory, the role of the museum's mission,
creating a timeline, accessibility and script writing. Also
covered are design elements, installation techniques,
object safety and security, visitor safety and evaluations.
Each student develops an exhibit plan for his or her
museum.

Course Outline
1. Introduction: Exhibition Theory and the Museums Mission
2. Intellectual and Physical Accessibility & Exhibition
Evaluations
3. Creating a Timeline and Writing Texts
4. The Role of Design Elements and Basic Installation
Techniques
5. Object and Visitor Safety
6. Conclusion

Logistics:
Participants in Exhibit Fundamentals work at their own pace
through six sections and interact through online chats.
Instructor Lin Nelson-Mayson is available at scheduled
times during the course for email support. Exhibit
Fundamentals includes online literature, slide lectures and
student-teacher/group-teacher dialog. The course is limited
to 20 participants.

Required texts are:
(1) Lord, Barry and Gail Dexter. The Manual of Museum
Exhibits. Walnut Creek, CA: AltaMira Press (A Division of
Rowman and Littlefield Publishers, Inc), 2002.
(2) Serrell, Beverly. Exhibit Labels: An Interpretive
Approach. Walnut Creek, CA: AltaMira Press, 1996.
(Both are good resources; if you don't have them in your
library, they can be ordered on line from Alta Mira at
http://www.altamirapress.com/)

Exhibit Fundamentals runs six weeks. To reserve a spot in
the course, please pay at
http://www.collectioncare.org/tas/tas.html .  If you have
trouble please contact Helen Alten at

Student Comments for MS106 Exhibit Fundamentals: Ideas to
Installation:
"The lectures were clearly written and understandable, and
the readings (Lord & Lord, Serrell) were surprisingly
readable! The Powerpoints provided a great summary for each
section ? I enjoyed the course thoroughly and have gained
some valuable (and somewhat sobering) insight. "

"Great teacher, Great technology, Great peers/other
students! Enjoyable reading. Very helpful for now and in
the future. Great reading. Great Text. A++ and THANK
YOU!!!"

"I liked having the content presented multiple ways. I read
the lectures, viewed the Powerpoint slides, and completed
the readings. With each presentation of the materials I
found I learned more."

"The content could be adapted to a project we are working
on ? Rather than spending time planning and working on an
exhibit I would never complete in my facility, I could
instead focus on a dream (a big dream) of an exhibit and
actually apply what I was learning to something that I will
use in my museum. The technology was quite easy to work
with. I didn't need help with the technology, but support
seemed readily available."

"I enjoyed hearing about plans, experiences and challenges
from professionals at other museums, and getting their
feedback - it was nice to have a 'virtual community' of
people working on similar things."

"The readings/assignments made me think about my exhibit in
ways I hadn't. Made me realize that there were more things
to keep in mind than I realized. I'll be on the lookout for
future courses offered by NSCC. I feel like I really got my
money's worth from it."

The Instructor:
Lin Nelson-Mayson, with over 25 years of museum experience
at small and large institutions, is director of the
University of Minnesota's Goldstein Museum of Design. Prior
to that, she was the director of ExhibitsUSA, a nonprofit
exhibition touring organization that annually tours over 30
art and humanities exhibitions across the country. For five
years, she was a coordinator or judge for the American
Association of Museums' Excellence in Exhibitions
Competition. She currently serves on the exhibition
committee for the National Sculpture Society. Ms.
Nelson-Mayson has extensive experience with the planning,
preparation, research and installation of exhibitions. Ms
Nelson-Mayson's experience includes teaching museum studies
and museology courses. Her particular interest is the needs
of small museums.

Her credentials include the following;
    * An MFA from The Ohio State University in sculpture
and critical writing
    * A BFA from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio in
painting.
    * Work as a curator for the Ross County Historic
Society (Chillicothe, Ohio), the Art Museum of South Texas
(Corpus Christi), the Columbia Museum of Art (South
Carolina), and the Minnesota Museum of American Art.