From:
Greg Spurgeon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 1997 17:53:34 -0400
Jackie,

We have done temporary installations.

Our museum currently has a large didactic exhibit on conservation in one
room within the context of a special exhibition entitled "Baroque to
Neo-classical: Sculpture in Quebec".  It deals with the extensive
conservation work (including removal of later painted layers to reveal
original gilding, etc.) which was conducted by the NGC conseration
department over several years in preparation for the exhibition.  The
exhibition opened here Februrary and will close next week.  It will tour to
Vancouver and Saskatoon.

On several other occasions the Gallery has installed smaller didactic
exhibitions related to specific conservation issues or treatments, most
recently one which dealt with the recent removal of a fig leaf from our
Cranach "Venus".

Greg

>Dear Colleagues,
>
>One of my co-workers is interested in learning
>how many museums have a gallery or
>permanent exhibit dedicated to conservation
>of any type.
>
>If you know of such a gallery or exhibit, could you
>please send me an email about it?
>
>Thank you for your help.
>
>Best regards,
>Jackie Zak
>Getty Conservation Institute

Greg Spurgeon
Head, Art Documentation & Storage/Chef, documentation & d'entroposage
d'oeuvres d'art
National Gallery of Canada / Musee des beaux-arts du Canada
Ottawa, Ontario
Tel/tel (613) 990-0482  Fax/telec. (613) 990-8689

email  [log in to unmask]

*       CHECK US OUT ONLINE!    GARDEZ L'OEIL OUVERT !           *
*       http://national.gallery.ca          http://musee.beaux-arts.ca