From:
Dane Pollei <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 17:10:49 -0600
Builder's risk is typically used for new construction of significant additions.  It insures the construction site, prior to it's inclusion in your property insurance.  There is sometimes, but not always, provisions for underinsured contractors and subs, and provides for onsite material damage or catastrophic loss while construction is underway.

Don't be confused by the terms "marine" or "inland marine" on your current property insurance.  They don't refer to land or water based.  It could be that your current property insurer doesn't provide a builder's risk policy.  Some larger companies such as Wausau will provide both types of insurance.  That can be beneficial if you are constructing an addition.

Your agent should be able to advise you and find a company that will provide a builder's risk policy.  They can be fairly pricey.  Your agent can also check the costs and feasibility for insuring the property with liability and property (inland marine) policies that would cover "renovations".

I would think your largest exposure comes from having volunteers work on the site and you want to make sure there isn't an exclusionary clause in you liability policy.

State OSHA regulations can also be a nightmare and you would be responsible for making sure that all volunteers have proper training for the tools they are using and the regulations they need to follow.

Talk to your agent if you trust them, and it's also wise to get more than one quote.

Feel free to contact me off list if you'd like any construction "horror stories."

Dane F. Pollei
Director
Mabee-Gerrer Museum of Art
1900 W. MacArthur Dr.