From:
Tracie Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 15:48:01 -0500
Bravo Susan for saying what I have been thinking.  I am getting real tired
of hearing all of the griping out there about wages.  I realize that the
money isn't great, but it could be worse.  While I was a graduate student, I
lived and went to school on a retail income and those are much worse that
what we are talking.  When I left retail I only made $6.25 a hour after five
years with the same company. (and I was getting raises every year) That is
only about $13,000 a year.

It's not the companies responsibilities to pay you what you need to match
your personal budget, it's their responsibility to pay as competitively as
they can afford.  Most often what they are paying is what they can afford.
Don't you think most institution and directors want to pay you better and
don't because they can't?   I know the argument coming next, then they
should just generate more money, but we all know that that is not as easy as
it sounds!

I seem to recall recently that we had a long thread about how difficult it
is even to get a job in this field - let alone the pay that you want.  There
are some people out there on this list going "At least you get close to want
you need to make your payments.  I'm working 3 jobs just trying to make ends
meet." So my advise in all of this is to remember-- Every time you want to
complain about how bad you have it,  think to yourself - someone out there
is worse off then me, they aren't employed yet at all.

Thanks for listening to me.
Tracie Evans