From:
matthew stephens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 1997 16:00:46 +0000
I am told that cleaning with IMS is a good cure for mould. However it has
certain implications depending on American health and safety implications -
in Britain IMS is can be used as a solvent for cleaning, but is not
registered for use as a pesticide.

At 08:46 03/07/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear Museum-L'ers
>We have a 5' x 6' tapestry that was found on campus, that was partially damp
>and moldering on a basement floor.  We have successfully dried it out
>(thanks to a nice, warm, windy day, a ledge, and sandbags to hold it down,
>yah, we do what we can......it gave our student guard the opportunity to
>work on his tan...).
>
>>From the looks of it, the tapestry is wool, with a linen backing.  The mold
>is visible only at the bottom, border area of the tapestry (an approximately
>12" x 6' moldy area), mostly on the linen backing, but also visible on the
>front, decorative wool area.
>
>How can I get rid of the mold and smell?  Someone suggested baking soda and
>a vaccuum, (I do know how to safely vaccuum textiles with a screen....) but
>what are your suggestions?
>
>Allison
>Allison A. Smith                        Patrick and Beatrice Haggerty
Museum of Art
>Registrar                               Marquette University
>[log in to unmask]           Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

# Matt Stephens                  #
# Collections Management Project #
# University College London      #
# 0171 380 7481                  #