From:
Jan Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 May 1996 12:44:24 MDT
Hello, all.  I've been doing some research in the above subject area.  I've
found some good books, cassette tapes, and videos (including those available
through AAM).

I would be interested in hearing from members on the list about services, etc.
at your museums for school age children and adults with disabilities. Some
areas of interest to me include the following:

1)  Do you have written policies and procedures for making your facilities and
programs accessible?  If a museum is a department of another institution, the
museum itself may not have written policies or procedures.

2)  Do you include training in adapting tours for students/adults with
disabilities in your museum educator training programs?  (Of course, such
"adaptations" often are valuable for all visitors.)

3)  Do you look at each and every exhibition from the perspective of an
individual who is visually impaired, physically impaired, etc.?

4)  What trials and successes have you to report about your endeavors in this
area?

5)  Do your brochures, etc. somehow make services to people with disabilities
known?  Is it through visual means, such as symbols or photographs?  Is it
through text information?

6)  What kind of contacts do you have with community organizations concerned
with needs, issues, etc. of people with disabilities?

7)  Do you have a TT (or other similar) phone?

8)  How do you go about assessing your services to people with disabilities?

Thanks.  Jan Wilson.  [log in to unmask]