From:
Lynne Teather <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 1994 17:50:48 -0500
Dear Zoo person,

Actually your request is not so unusual.  Zoos are included in the
related- museum institutions that are part of the ICOM , AAM, CMA
etc., etc., definitions of museums although we often forget it.

About three years ago one, one of our graduate students completed her
research paper on this very subject.  She did a visitor study at the
Metro Toronto Zoo evaluating visitor responses to elements of zoo
presentation and issues of environment.  Her name is Robin Whittal and
she is now Head of Educational Programming at the Sacramento Zoo ,
that is in California.  Robin has an extensive background in natural
science programming as she worked for some time at the Vancouver
Aquarium and then was in Programs at the Royal Ontario Museum for
about two years.

You can try to phone her at the Sacramento Zoo. We can also provide a
copy of her research paper for a cost.

So do let me know what you wish to do.

Yours truly,

Lynne Teather,
Professor,                      "be-mused, bothered and bewildered"
Museum Studies Program,
University of Toronto,
Toronto, Ontario
E-mail: [log in to unmask]