From:
Bayla Singer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jul 1994 00:00:35 -0400
I'm sure there are records from the REA -- I have consulted the annual
reports, they're likely to be in any Federal Repository Library (many
large public libraries are Federal Repositories, and many university
libraries ditto).

The person you should approach is a knowledgeable Reference Librarian.
You should ask where are the local Government Documents repositories,
whether there's a regional branch of the National Archives within easy
distance, and what help you can get pointed at the central National
Archives in the Washington DC area.  The archivists at NARS (National
Archives & Record Service) are *extremely* helpful, if you seem to have
done some homework beforehand.

The papers of Morris Llewellyn Cooke, the first Administrator of the REA,
are at the FDR Presidential Library in Poughkeepsie, NY.  (Technically in
Hyde Park, but Poughkeepsie is the nearest train station.)  The
Presidential Libraries are also run by NARS, and I've found the archivists
to be ready, willing, and eager to help.  A good place to eat in the area
up there is the CIA -- Culinary Institute of America, one of the premier
cooking schools of the country.

At the reference section of your local library, you ought to be able to
find out the "Record Group Number" of the REA  papers, then you can use
that to focus your inquiries at the repositories and NARS sites.

Hope this helps.  Email me if there are any other questions you might have.
(I'm a historian of technology, with specialization in electrical utility
history, among other interests.)

--bayla singer   [log in to unmask]