From:
Michelle Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 09:11:27 -0700
We've encountered similar situations at my institution. Our solution was to accession all copy photographs or negatives into our 'reserve' or education collection.  This collection doesn't require Board approval to accession or deaccession. The curators have the authority for both (makes things much simpler).  Because these photographs are meant to be used in place of the originals they naturally wear out quicker and experience more damage.  Without needing Board approval the curators can easily dispose of them and have new ones created.  The R-number attached to the object also makes it easier to track location, condition, use history, etc. We enter them into our collection database for similar reasons.  We've come up with the system of giving the copy negative a number (R1-2002) and any prints made from that negative the same number with a letter suffix (R1-2002a).  It allows for an easy and quick connection between the two.

Michelle Gallagher, Collections Manager
Palm Springs Desert Museum
Palm Springs, CA
www.psmuseum.org