From:
"David A. Penney" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 13:42:01 EDT
C.L. Dill wrote:

> Does anyone out on the list HAVE insurance which actually provides for
conservation in a disaster recovery situation? I'm looking for specifications
describing such coverage.  Or information about what happens when you don't have
such coverage?<

According to our Registrarial Office,  our policy is with Henderson Phillips
Fine Arts in LA & VA. It includes a Partial Loss Agreement which states:

"In case of Partial Loss due to Perils insured against, the adjusted amount of
loss shall be the cost and expense of Restoration, to include additional and
reasonable charges incurred in that Restoration.

Loss in value, if any, after Restoration, to be agreed upon between the Insured
and the Company.

In no event shall the Company be liable for more than the insured value of the
Property."

This would seem more appropriate for unique or rare objects than the kind of
replacement value clause used for ordinary property. You might, I suppose try to
get language inserted defining "Restoration" as it applies to your particular
collections; that could reduce problems negotiating the settlement.

I don't know how the "Disaster" designation you mention would make a difference,
unless there were a specific clause that excluded loss caused by what are
sometimes described as "acts of God."  Sometimes you can get these exclusions
modified or even removed--depends on the company and the situation.

Hope this helps!

David A. Penney
Exhibitions Manager
The Baltimore Museum of Art