From:
Marc Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2006 17:36:29 -0400
At least throughout New England, and I would imagine throughout most of the
country, there are small, usually small-town or rural auction houses that
will sell ANYTHING.  Usually, these are weekday evening sales and may net
only a few dollars, but that is better than unwanted items sitting around
taking up valuable space.

Another alternative is of course ebay.  This is certainly public, and may be
a bit more work, but you can specify a reasonable fee for handling in
addition to shipping costs, thus recovering some/all of your labor.  Larger
items can be listed as "local pick-up only" to avoid shipping.  If you do
not want to do the listing yourselves, there are companies that will handle
the whole process for a fee, you just drop off the items.  Entire businesses
exist doing nothing but selling on ebay, and they are more than happy to
include you.  It's also a fun thing for someone who is retired to do and
willing to donate their time to the museum.  It even can be used as a
fundraising program, where donors give unwanted items to the museum
specifically for sale on ebay.  Even cars are an option - I personally have
purchased three on ebay!

Marc

American Conservation Consortium, Ltd.
     4 Rockville Road
     Broad Brook, CT 06016
     www.conservator.com
     860-386-6058

*Collections Preservation Consultation
*Conservation Assessments & Surveys
*Low-Tech Environmental Control
*Moisture Management Solutions
*Collections in Historic Structures
*Conservation Treatment of:
     Furniture
     Painted Wood
     Horse-Drawn Vehicles
     Architectural Interiors

Marc A. Williams, President
     MS in Art Conservation, Winterthur Museum Program
     Former Chief Wooden Object Conservator, Smithsonian Institution
     Fellow, American Institute for Conservation (AIC)