From:
Stephen Ringle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 1997 18:21:00 GMT
Is there any standard for formatting text on identification
labels in an art museum?  For years we have printed the artist's
name in caps & lower case, bold.  Now some of the staff want us
to print the artist's names in all caps.

Would you store the data in the Artist field in the database
in all caps?  The text of our exhibit identification labels is
always extracted from our database to a file, and then imported
into a word processor or DTP program for formatting and printing.
As now done, this is most efficient, since we do not have to
*re-type* anything, just apply margins and font formatting
specifications, etc.

Would you be concerned about the "loss of information" if all the
artists names were converted to all caps in the database?

How do you feel about the conversion to caps of names like:
   de Kooning   --> DE KOONING
   O'Connor     --> O'CONNOR
   McPherson    --> MCPHERSON
   McCormick    --> MCCORMICK

Let's discuss this on list.

      Stephen B. Ringle, Registrar             [log in to unmask]
      University of Maine Museum of Art
      5712 Carnegie Hall, Room 109              vox: 207-581-3257
      Orono, Maine   04469-5712                 fax: 207-581-3083