From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2001 10:57:30 -0400
Experience, if nothing else, teaches a skilled leader/manager to delegate
responsibility as well as authority to get the job done.  Museums are
complex organizations with such a variety of operational requirements that
may adapt from time to time to deal with external circumstances.  Among
these circumstances are funding sources, visitor markets, new technologies.

What is often lacking is experienced museum staff that will (or can) accept
that kind of delegation.  Rather, as museums are led into strategic planning
and as objectives change, museum professionals in larger institutions may
tend toward protecting turf.  Decisions get delegated upward, especially in
an atmosphere of change.

In other cases, a CEO inherits an organization that is encrusted with
attitudes and procedures that no longer mean anything, or just don't work at
all.  Those who clasp dearly those fossils of long ago are among the most
difficult professionals to deal with.  I've been there, done that.
Delegation is impossible in those cases.

Advice:  Try to persuade these CEOs to delegate and see how well it works.
If they don't already know how, it's a learning process for them.  In
advance of new leadership coming in (and it will actually "come in" from the
outside in struggling museums), learn to be responsible and accountable and
have a take-charge attitude within one's specialized field.

Ross Weeks Jr.
Historic Crab Orchard Museum & Pioneer Park
Tazewell, Va.
http://histcrab.netscope.net