From:
Linda Bitley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 May 2000 13:45:17 -0400
Strategic planning is a hot topic right now so there seems to be a lot published on it.  I suggest you call the American Association of Museums Bookstore (202/289-1818) and ask for their most recent publications catalogue.  I just attended their annual meeting in Baltimore and their on-site bookstore had a number of titles on strategic planning, long-range planning, etc.  I can't remember if there were any conference sessions on that topic, but if so you can also order tapes of the presentations.

You shoud also call the American Associaiton of State and Local History (615/320-3203) about their publications on strategic planning. Also, be sure to ask them and AAM (and your regional professional organization) about workshops on strategic planning.  I bet  somebody is doing a How-to workshop somewhere.

Finally, there are a number of museums consultants that work with museums to get them started or to work thru the process of institutional strategic planning.  The best thing would be to get recommendations from other insititutions in your area, but if that doesn't work I know of several and will be glad to give you contact info off list.

Good luck.

Linda Bitley
Interim Registrar
Atlanta History Center
130 West paces Ferry Road, NW
Atlanta, GA 30305-1366
T:  404/814-4053
E:  [log in to unmask]
W: atlantahistory.net

>>> Cindy Hoover <[log in to unmask]> 05/16 12:38 PM >>>
Dear Listers:
We are in the process of developing a strategic or business plan for our organization.  Any input on this process would be helpful, and we would appreciate copies plans which are already in place.  Send the copies to: Greg Jordan, Lyon County Historical Museum, 118 E. 6th Avenue, Emporia, KS  66801.  Thanks for your help!

.