From:
Judith Turner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Sep 2008 20:14:16 -0700
Dear Ms. Vetter --

Before you attempt to undo the office files of the creating departments and impose an outside  filing system on your museum's records, please obtain a copy of the following book:

Museum Archives: An Introduction (2nd ed.)

Edited by Deborah Wythe

This new edition of Museum Archives: An Introduction offers a comprehensive overview of archival work in a museum setting. Skillfully written and lavishly illustrated by a team of museum-based archivists, this beautifully designed volume draws on decades of experience in applying fundamental archival principles and practices to the specific circumstances of museums. Footnotes, sidebars, and a concluding resource guide point readers to a vast range of additional information and assistance.Museum Archives also introduces readers to the institutional cultures, functions, and records of the museum setting...

Publisher: Society of American Archivists (2004)
256 pp., Hard cover

Nonmember price: $62.00
SAA Member price: $45.00

Product Code: BOOKSAA-0435

Go to:  http://www.archivists.org/catalog/pubDetail.asp?objectID=949 for more information, including how to order the book.

In addition to gaining familiarity with terminology and practice of museum archives, you need to turn to some local sources for training, workshops and colleagues to talk with.  Start with the Indiana State Archives  - http://www.in.gov/icpr/ and they should be able to put you in touch with some regional groups and good basic training opportunities.

Just as the museum and library professions have standards for organizing and cataloging collections, the archival profession has similar standards.  One of an archivist's guiding principles is to respect the provenance of the records, i.e., the dept. or office which created the records.  Secondly, the archivist strives to identify and to follow, as far as feasible, the arrangement produced by the records creator (museum dept. or office) which created the records.   Trying to impose an artificial filing system on the variety of materials and formats you mentioned,  will destroy the context of the records and their ultimate value.

There are a number of published Museum Records Retention Schedules but since your museum is part of a larger State agency,  you will need assistance from the State of Indiana's records management staff. Indiana's guidelines would take precedence over guidelines established by a private museum in another state.  Records of State agencies are highly regulated and discarding items that might have evidential value in a court case could have serious legal ramifications.