From:
Lisa Shockley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 09:26:00 -0600
Thank you for the replies that I've received both on and off list. Yes,
there is obviously a difference between cellulose nitrate film and 3-d
celluloid objects made with a camphor plasticizer. I think everyone is
aware that the film is unstable and dangerous. I wanted to make certain
that no one had heard of anything relating to celluloid objects. All of
the information that I had was specifically geared to film and because
of the addition of camphor, I didn't think the exact "rules" applied.
Regarding film, there are several laws and regulations regarding storage
and handling of it, including being against the law to ship. We did have
a few reels in our archives. I know how difficult it was for the
Archivist to do anything with it at the time because of both local fire
codes and federal regulations, and it still appeared to be stable.

There is some good information on cellulose nitrate film, very basic, in
a free leaflet available at www.hse.gov.uk/spd/dsear.htm It is a
publication of the British crown, but most of the information would be
applicable anywhere.

If anyone learns more, I would be interested. Right now, I have a "study
collection" in cold storage, taking photographs every so often to
document the decay, right up to total disintegration or melting into a
gelatinous mass. These were once beautiful and elaborate hair combs. It
is so sad...

--
Lisa Shockley
Collections Technician, Union Station, Kansas City

Where there is Peace, there is Culture;
Where there is Culture, there is Peace.”   (Nicholas Roerich)