From:
Beth Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 09:05:53 -0800
Apologies if this is a duplicate posting.  We have been having some minor
Y2K problems with our e-mail system, and many of our messages got lost in
cyberspace.

I hope the list members can offer us some advice on two questions we have.
(Some background: we are a new museum, not yet open to the public, but we do
have a collection in storage.)

My first question: how do list members handle donors who refuse to terminate
a loan?  Some time ago, we accepted a loan of an object. We never picked it
up from the donor, wanting to keep it at his house until we were ready to
put in on display.  We have since decided that we do not want the object.
We have given the donor paperwork to terminate the loan, but he has refused
to sign it.  Have other curators faced similar problems?  How have you
handled them?

My second question: in general, what is the power of curators to deaccession
materials or terminate loans?  Do you have the sole authority to do this, or
do you need to take these decisions to any sort of committee?

Many thanks for your help.

Beth Nelson
Assistant Curator and Historian
Santa Barbara Maritime Museum