From:
Betsy Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 1995 16:37:35 -0600
As a science teacher educator who told my science methods students that
they would flunk the course if I every saw a "fun" scavanger hunt that
got students running through a museum or zoo, I am providing some
cautions on scavanger hunts.

What is the goal of the hunt?

1.  If it is for school groups to learn, it needs to lead the students to
discover a particular concept or focus their discovery on a particular theme.

Some suggestions:

The scavanger hunt can be a pre-organizer to lead students to understand an
important part of an exhibit.

It can lead students to connect certain concepts that are realted, but
strung out in different areas of the museum; for examples, the bone
structures of prehistoric and historic animals, the Niagra Fall beadwork
of the Iroguis with European beadwork from the same period.

It can be a compliment to the textbook; for examples, models of cells
that help conceptualize the static pictures in the texts, or hands-on
physics experiements that help them work out meaning of numerical
formulas, or different styles of dress over the last 100 years of that
represent the history of the state.

It can help an exhibit that would not necessarily be understandable to
younger students; for example it can direct students through a technology
exhibit on machinery that they are too young to remember.

2.  If it is just for fun, REALLY think about what you are doing.
Students are well aware of what is "busy work"; for example, crossword
puzzles, worksheets, color sheets, and scavanger hunts.  If one of my
students was having discipline problems with their class during a field
trip, it was because the activities had no meaning or benefit to their
students and, hence, the activityies were not taken seriously.

On Fri, 20 Oct 1995, Nelson, Kellyx wrote:

>           I am appealing to the collective brain of you all to help me
>           design a scavenger hunt that can be used in my museum.  If
>           you are from a science museum that uses scavenger hunts for
>           classes, public, camp, or any other programming, would you
>           please share with me what works and what doesn't?
>
>           You can either post it or email me directly at
>
>           Thanks
>           Kellyx Nelson
>           California Academy of Sciences

Betsy Price, Project Manager            A joint project sponsored by:
The Natural History of Genes            Eccles Institute of Human Genetics
UMNH                                    Utah Museum of Natural History
University of Utah                      University of Utah Medical School
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112

801-581-6286