From:
"Mary L. Kirby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 23:14:03 -0600
The Women's Museum in Dallas Texas. It is affliliated with the
Smithsonian in ways that I am not clear about. One of the complaints by
some of the reviewer's when it first opened is that it did not have
"exhibit" except in a very limited way.

It opens with a multi-screen presentation about the changing roles of
women, after one has passed a three-story high "quilt" of a multiscreen
projection. When I was there the squares of the quilt either had the WM
logo of the Women's Museum or different covers of Texas Monthly magazine
with women (Gov. Ann Richards, Cissy Spacik, Drs. Astronauts, etc). All
the "squares" are rear screen or liquid crystal projections.

There is a movie theatre which I did not have time to enter, a 7 minute
film at the endd called NEXT with images of faces of all races, all ages,
all sexes, offering the viewer to create the "next" century of exhibits,
and closes with a computer with which you can record your reaction to the
exhibits. There is one area near the opening with tryptichs of women in
differnent fields which includes items on loan from the Smithsonian or
other museums, but in another section, you had to interact with the
topics on a touch screen to find out more about that section.

I did not go to the third floor displays. (No time left that day.)

The building formerly housed state fair exhibits and later was the home
of a theatre set designer. Fascinating way they used space to allow
handicap access and have a continuous flow through the building. Very
hi-tech. Investigate it.

Mary Kirby
Historic Upshur Museum

Only $9.95 per month!