From:
Belinda Nickles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Oct 1998 11:32:23 -0500
Deborah:
Experience in other areas of non-profit work is always
desirable.  Take a look at some of the job descriptions
for museum professionals and you will see what I mean.
Museums often look for employees who can handle
more than one position.  At my last museum, one of the
reasons I was hired as a curator was my experience in
education.  Two months after I was hired our educator
moved away and I inherited the education responsibilities
until a new educator could be hired.

Since you can tailor your job description, I would
suggest that you take the position being offered and see
how you can use it to enhance your qualifications as an
educator.  Let me give you an expample: my dream is to
work as a curator at a Native American museum.
Therefore, whenever possible, I have built exhibits
reflecting Native American cultures.  By doing so, I have
gained valuable experience to add to my resume.

If you like what you are doing, take the job offer.  It can
certainly help no matter what you decide to do in the future.

Belinda Nickles