From:
Nicholas Burlakoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 10:37:10 -0400
Wow! This is quite a question, one that can take years of courses to fully
explain. You touch on the questions related to development (fundraising),
board responsibilities and ethics-not a simple set of topics.

Saying that, I suggest the following:
1) If your board is a 501-c-3 board, then they must understand and accept
the notion that the fiscal wellbeing of the institution is their
responsibility.
2) To fully understand the responsibilities of a board and ethical norms
that need to be guiding them I highly recommend materials from the Robert
Greenleaf Center in Indianapolis (http://www.greenleaf.org). The quality of
their material is among the best and their price is reasonable.
3) There are many good books on fundraising. My personal favorite is
Fundraising Fundamentals by James M. Greenfield. This is very comprehensive
(for a one volume treatment), an easy read, and can be followed by
volunteers. The cost is about $25.
4) Suggest that some committee take on the issue of development as its major
responsibility, whether this would be the Executive Committee or a specific
Development (Fundraising) Committee. Have some members of that committee,
along with designated staff, take development courses that are offered by
your local United Way, the Foundation Center and/or any museum specific
entities locally present. I would recommend the following sequence of course
work: a) Board responsibilities b) annual giving c) specific fundraising
courses e.g., special events, grant writing, giving circles, etc.
5) Investment in a consultant to set-up the specifics would be money well
spent.
6) The bottom line-the board must understand that it is their responsibility
to ensure the fiscal viability of the museum.

For specifics you may contact me off-list.
nburlakoff