From:
Karen Kroslowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 2015 15:43:39 +0000
Hi Christian,
Ignore Tim Vitale's response to you. It  was NOT in the spirit of the listserv, where we strive to help others - not shame them or shoot them down. (But participants' responses are one way to learn who you will and will not contact for contract services).

You didn't mention the ultimate intent for the photos you need to take. A printed exhibition catalog requires high-resolution, quality images. However, if it's solely for internal uses such as to link or upload to the collections database, then you can probably manage OK with simpler techniques. (I would recommend reviewing the online databases of other museums to see what their quality of images is like and have your supervisor decide what's acceptable.) We at CHM have our volunteers photograph and process the artifact images for our online database. We've been lucky in recent years to work with retirees from the computer industry, including two guys who used to design product catalogs. However, when it comes to our exhibition photos, we work with a professional photographer because those images must be of the highest quality. It's not just for our online exhibition purposes, but also because we license images to media outlets and other museums.

Here's a thought:  I presume your small museum has a super-tight budget (like $0?).  However, you are studying at U. Memphis and its Arts Dept has both undergraduate and graduate photography programs. Why not connect with the Dept Chair or an instructor and see if you can garner some assistance? Perhaps a student is seeking a project idea and this could be one. Given that it's summer and classes are over, perhaps they'd be willing to even loan some equipment? You can't succeed until you ask and try.

Good luck,
-Karen
Karen Kroslowitz
Director of Collections