From:
Alexandra Carrera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 11:53:20 -0700
I'll add my MEAGER experience to this one too. Several years ago, when I was
casting about looking for a career, I talked to a family friend who worked in
the American History museum at the Smithsonian in DC. She had worked her way
up through the system (as an administrator) and ended up doing quite a bit of
exhibit planning/developing although she only had a BA. As she got older, she
noticed people with her background getting replaced by new
degree-carrying/experience-poor candidates who had an appalling lack of
respect for the older regime. It seems to be the trend -- degrees over
experience. She arranged for me to interview with someone at the musuem, an
informational interview, as I tried to figure out what I wanted to do, and I
came away from the meeting feeling very discouraged. Basically I was told I
needed to have majored in art history as an undergrad (I majored in theatre
with a minor in French lit) and would further need AT LEAST a masters to get a
job, most likely I'd need a PhD. I had no interest in getting another BA at
that point, and gave up the idea of museums all together, opting instead for
publishing (which is also a lot of fun). Later, I went back to school for an
Arts in Education degree, mainly because it looked interesting, not because I
had an actual end in sight. While in the program, I got a first hand look at
the different kinds of curricula being developed to target the various
intelligences (explicitly by Harvard University's Project Zero) and how they
have been used in museums, or in museum outreach programs. I guess I was
incredibly lucky, but when I graduated, I lobbied various museums I thought
could use someone with my background, and got two job offers. The one I took
was part-time because I had research interests I was still trying to pursue,
but nevertheless, I'm still here and have the freedom to create gallery
guides, outreach curricula (by partnering with teachers I find by happenstance
and more recently by getting advice from within the Board of Education and
colleagues in the professional organizations to which I belong) as well as
general day to day operations. Granted this is a very small gallery (there are
only two of us) and much of my work is volunteer at this point (creating
outreach programs) and I do have to keep a second job,  however, it does give
me experience that will make me attractive (i hope) to other organizations,
not to mention the fact that through my efforts, this tiny gallery may in fact
grow. (I have written grants, but that hasn't been my recent focus.) Anyway,
all this to say that routes may be circuitous and naysayers may derail
interest. But pursuing what really interests you and what you're willing to do
for yourself (without a job or money attached) really DOES seem to lead
places.
Good luck,
Alexandra