From:
Jodi Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:58:56 -0600
At 01:55 AM 10/29/1998 EST, you wrote:
>Hello - I'm a board member of a small history museum in its 50th year -
>without a collections policy. [Let alone financial, etc.]
>I've looked at my Museum Studies materials, but they are way beyond this
>group. Do you have a policy you'd be willing to share?

**So, what do you expect from Museum-L?  If, in your opinion, Museum
Studies materials are "way beyond this group" I suspect you will find most
established collection policies will also be "way beyond". Perhaps if you
altered your attitude toward "this group" you will find that writing and
implementing sound policies is not as difficult.
Good collection management is based on three simple ideas: Know what you
have, know how you acquired it, and know where it is right now.
collection policy.
See also:
"Collection Management Policies" by Marie Malaro,  Museum News. Nov/Dec 1979;
Ms. Malaro's book,  A Legal Primer on Managing Museum Collections
(Smithsonian    Institution Press 1985);
Technical Report 1: Current Thoughts on Collections Policy, AASLH 1985; and
Technical Report 7: Developing a Collections Management Manual, AASLH 1986
both    by      Daniel R. Porter III;
Registration Methods for the Small Museum, Third Edition by Daniel Reibel,
AASLH/Alta      Mira Press,1997
These sources will help you and the rest of the Board promote the absolute
need for a collections policy.

>We need a policy that will function well with one part-time [1 day a week]
>curator/registrar who has been in place for over 20 years.
>Things need to change, and I have a few supporters if I act quickly and get a
>reasonable policy in place that will suit the curator.

**Is the curator/registrar amenable to these new policies or will his/her
reaction to these changes be a stumbling block?  Change is scary no matter
how beneficial it may be.  You will have a smoother path if you try to be
an advocate rather than a dictator.  Listen to staff and colleagues. Even
though you feel these policies must be implemented soon, there is still
time to listen to the concerns of those affected by the policies.

>Currently, we could be robbed blind - or find that we're fronting an antique
>dealing business - or worse. There is no distinction between historic objects
>and items donated to sell to benefit the museum in its regular garage sales.
>The newly formed collections committee found three original, signed Dorothea
>Lange photos ca. 1920 lying in a metal - thank the gods - drawer... but
nary a
>sheet of acid-free tissue in sight, let alone real conservation materials.
>Only been sitting there for 13 years...

**And what have you, as a Board member, done to rectify these problems?
The best collection policy in the world will not do any good without the
proper support.
 As a Board member it is your responsibility to provide adequate resources
- including sound advice, fundraising, coaching, cheerleading, a pat on the
back or two, a kick in the pants, and, dare I say it, some actual cash from
your pocket.
Introducing archival materials into the museum is easy - you buy it and
donate it.
Introducing the concept of "the museum acting in trust for the community"
will a little more difficult - advocate for sound museum practices, don't
dictate.

>Fun, fun, fun. I won't say more, because it will just turn your museum-
>professional hair as grey as mine is getting... thank goodness for Clairol.
>Those interested in how we dealt with an employee tossing off the entire
board
>and replacing them with hand-picked shills should drop me a line... The best
>thing is, I think I might just finish my thesis after all - much more
>interesting story than curating a women's history exhibit.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated. LB

**Your institution will be better served when you drop the smart-aleck
tone.  You seem quite good at recognizing the weaknesses of your museum but
what is good about it?  Why did you become a Board member - for the line on
your resume? It is your responsibility to enhance the public image of your
museum.  Broadcasting your museum's foibles in an international listserv or
in your thesis won't do your public image any good.  A true professional
takes pride in association with his/her organization.  If you don't feel
that pride, get out.

Jodi
Jodene K. Evans
Registrar