From:
Silvia Filippini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2007 07:04:40 -0800
I would like to thank all those that have taken part in the
survey

I would like to thank all those that have taken part in the
survey on “personalization in museums” that I sent out a few weeks ago. I have collected
a lot of useful feedback (over 150 responses) that will help me finalize my PhD
research on this subject.

The purpose of the survey was to try to understand the
possible definitions of personalization in museums and, thanks to your replies, I
was able to identify 5 main categories of meaning:

1)      Adapting
and tailoring content according to the visitor’s individual profile and needs

2)      Providing
people with different types of experiences and content thereby allowing them to
choose what interest them the most (self-directed exploration)

3)      Facilitating
the visitors’ participation in the museum experience by allowing them to share
their own opinions and ideas with others, and by contributing with their own
content

4)      Allowing
visitors to relate more closely with the museum experience by making a cognitive,
emotional or experiential connection with them.

5)      Allowing
visitors to “save” aspects of the museum experience that they were more interested in and access them later after
the visit   (e.g. bookmarking)

I hope this information will be useful to those of you who
had never heard the term before and have expressed some curiosity about it. I intentionally did not include my definition of personalization in the survey
because I did not want to influence the responses.

Thanks again to everybody and if you have any further
questions, don’t hesitate to contact me ([log in to unmask]).

Silvia Filippini Fantoni

Be a better friend, newshound, and