From:
Tracie Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 12:12:38 -0600
Hi Mary,
It is great to hear from you.  The collections policies that I write and use
are ALWAYS very specific in the type of categories that we collect in.  They
also always include the types of items that we are not collecting and
clauses to allow for variations.  Additionally we always sort and accept
only those items that we want. Once you accept something that you do not
really want it is much more problematic them just not accepting it in the
first place.

 An option that we used when I was at a large state organization and one we
also use here at the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame is a collections committee of
our professional staff who evaluation ALL donations to the collections for
relevance to the collection and discuss the justification of addition to the
permanent collection.  Sometime this easy due to its provenance and
sometimes its not so easy but it will help limit your collecting.  When we
are offered a donation, we always tell each donor that all new acquisitions
are reviewed by our collections committee to verify that they meet our
collections scope, that we do not have duplication, and that we can
ethically accept the financial responsibilities associated with the object
(insurance, space, condition, etc.)  If they want to leave the object with
the museum during this consideration period, we use a receipt system and
explains both the owners responsibilities and our responsibilities including
what will happen if the donation is rejected and they do not pick up their
objects.  We do not ever accept any object on the spot.  No matter how good
your collections policy is, you will never be prepared for all
circumstances. Also, we limit which are allowed to accept donations and
front end staff never accept objects for the institution.  With long term
staff we had to do an extensive retraining program to help them understand
why these changes were necessary.

Mary, as you know, I am familiar with the collections of the MCHS and I
truly feel that they type of system would be beneficial to you.  If you want
to discuss these systems feel free to get in touch.

Sincerely,
Tracie Evans
Collections Manager
Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum