Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 1997 10:47:29 +0500
In article <[log in to unmask]>, Aloud_zine Art News El Paso
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Don't sell yourself short and say that museums aren't going to hire you
>because you're not (in your own words) "in the target population for hiring
>initiatives in museums."  There's opportunity for many hard-working folks
>to work in museums in the USA.  Yes, there are initiatives to hire and
>retain people of color, but women, regardless of nationality are also
>sought after.

aaahhh.  so if you're a white male, you have to worry!

>Remember, this discussion centers around groups of people
>who have been excluded historically.

need one point out the problems historically involved with viewing people
as members of groups instead of as individuals?

>I do differ with your comments
>that "teenage mothers, people transitioning out of welfare,
>displaced homemakers..." wouldn't make good candidates for internships.
>They would.

assuming they are truly interested in museum studies and not just looking
for a job.

>If you were a displaced homemaker who knew how to budget, how
>to manage a family and were offered an internship at a museum, how would
>that make you feel?

if you were a qualified individual with a specialty in some aspect of
museum work and were passed up simply because you were viewed as the
member of a group, how would that make YOU feel?

>I can't help to think that this experience would
>transform not only this homemaker but her family and friends if she had a
>postive experience.  And aren't we talking outreach here, trying to make
>museums feel like part of the family.
>I'm sure that kind of atmosphere
>exists at the Silver City Museum.  Imagine the possibilities of people
>reaching out to other people they never imagined and connecting in ways
>they never thought they could.
>
>Miguel

plus, since you can hire interns at a rate of next to nothing, there's no
need to go searching for truly qualified candidates who might expect more
than minimum wage for their expertise.

--
please read the text before responding publicly.
i do not respond to unsolicited email.