From:
"Ginger M. Young" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 16:33:00 EST
Beloit College also employs these pull out drawers with plexi covers.  The
drawers also have a mechanism that prevents the drawers from being slammed
shut or opened up too quickly and possibly causing damage to the artifacts
within them.  This exhibit technique is quite different though from the "open
storage" system I briefly described earlier.  The "open storage" system is
what we students (past students anyway) affectionately called the "glass
cube".  Another advantage to the "glass cube" approach is that the visitor
can see what actually happens in a museum as most of us who work behind the
scenes in collection areas,etc. know that most ppl do not know what it is we
do!  I always heard positive remarks from the public as 1) they were able to
see more of what we have in the collection and 2) they could see a few of us
working in there and ask questions about what it is we were doing.

Ginger M. Young, Registrar
Ziff Jewish Museum of FL