From:
Mark Janzen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2004 10:14:35 -0500
Loretta,

Most of us do not get acknowledgements on applications, no matter our level
of education or experience. The excuse is normally that there are simply
too many applicants. I doubt it has anything to do with your unsuitability
for the position(s) you were applying for.

My PhD was for exactly the same reason, personal improvement and interests,
not tenure track research. It does me no good whatsoever, in terms of
salary.

I would hazard the statement that you should focus on curatorial or
directorial positions with an advanced degree in art history. Your PhD will
seriously over-qualify you for other areas. I have been told many times
that insitutions will not hire people with a PhD for certain jobs, not
because they are not capable of the position, but because they can not pay
the person what they should be getting paid. I know that sounds odd,
especially when we say we would be willing to accept that disparity, but
administrators and human resources departments are rather adamant about it.
As Adrienne noted, the process is not always logical.

As to getting an interview, I would certainly leave the PhD on your resume.
I know I would be a little put off if I found out someone who applied for
one of my positions left off education. I would not consider your PhD a
"red flag" unless you are applying to truly entry level positions. The best
advice is to just keep trying, and to tailor your experience/resume to the
jobs. Also, make sure you are making it clear to the prospective employers
that their position is really what you want to do and show them what you
can bring to the position. Do not be equivocal about it in any way.

Good luck.

Mark Janzen
Registrar/Collections Manager
Edwin A. Ulrich Museum of Art
Martin H. Bush Outdoor Sculpture Collection
Wichita State University
(316)978-5850

             Loretta Lorance
             <llorance@EARTHLI
             NK.NET>                                                    To
             Sent by: Museum           [log in to unmask]
             discussion list                                            cc
             SE.LSOFT.COM>                                         Subject
                                       Re: trying to get back into museum
                                       work after graduating with PhD
             05/15/2004 10:41
             AM

             Please respond to
             Museum discussion
                   list
               SE.LSOFT.COM>

I've been following the entry level discussion and decided to ask for
advice about my situation. I'm an architectural historian with a new PhD in
art history. While taking classes I worked in a museum in different
departments and for a private collector. However, I was, like many graduate
students, nudged toward teaching. I have volunteered a bit at museums, but
not regularly, more as time and other commitments have permitted.

As I was completing my degree there were a couple of jobs that interested
me, director of historic house, education director, registrar (although I'm
a bit rusty on this, not up to date on computer programs but am a quick
learner) and usually I didn't even get an acknowledgement of my
application. I felt that the people on the receiving end might have been
bothered, perhaps intimidated, by the level of my education. It doesn't
bother nor impress me to have a PhD, it's something I wanted and
accomplished and am now ready to move to the next stage of my live.
Furthermore, I'm not a snooty person (I don't expect to be called Dr.). I
don't want an entry level position and don't mind volunteering if I have a
source of income.

I've applied for a couple of teaching positions and would also considered
applying for museum work in education, curator, director, administrator,
registrar, etc. Given the job market both in higher education and museums,
can anyone offer advice about how to apply or get an interview with the PhD
red flag. I guess I don't have to put it on my business resume, unlike the
resume I use to apply for teaching jobs. Thanks for any advice.

Loretta Lorance, PhD

The Museum-L FAQ file is located at
read "help" (without the quotes).

Museum-L" (without the quotes).