From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 11:49:40 -0400
Hi Micki,

I've supervised a lot of interns and I think you're on the right track. In
addition to a journal, I write a contract with the intern, spelling out
what they can expect from me and what I expect from them. The contract
outlines what they should be learning during the internship and, if
applicable, details their project.

I find two publications very useful.

First is: Intern Preparation Manual: A Guide for Intern Supervisors. It is
a great deal at US$10

Quoting from the Registrar's Committee web site:

The Intern Preparation Manual provides tools for developing and
supervising customized internships that ensure standardized professional
training. These tools help museum staff meet AAM's criteria for
internships, museum studies program requirements, the intern's
expectations, and their own institutional goals.

This manual includes information on developing an internship project
(purpose, supervision, organization), finding interns, funding
internships, contracts, curriculum and syllabus, evaluations, AAM
standards, bibliographies, and sample forms and projects. (56 pgs.)

The manual is a set of flexible guidelines easily adaptable to a wide
variety of situations. It is not a training manual; no single internship
would satisfy the needs of every museum or intern. Each institution and
intern is different. No two internships are identical in subject matter,
length, or activities.

This guide is to help you accommodate all these factors without putting
undue strain on your already busy schedules. The concepts are adaptable to
the length of the internship, the project goals, and the intern's level of
education and experience. The suggested formats are the result of
analyzing material submitted by registrars and other museum professionals.
The samples demonstrate the guidelines in use. Tailor them to design
internships that will satisfy the needs of your institution and intern!

-----
To order your copy of Intern Preparation Manual: A Guide for Intern
Supervisors send order form and payment to:

William G. Tompkins
900 Jefferson Drive, SW Room 3101
Smithsonian Institution
Washington, DC 20560-0404
 Inquiries: (202) 357-3125; fax (202) 633-9214
E-mail [log in to unmask]
(AAM Tax ID# is 53-0205889)
*Orders must be prepaid in U.S. Dollars

You can also order Standards and Guidelines for Musum Internships from the
AAM bookstore.

Good luck
Diane Gutenkauf