From:
David Hartley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 1996 21:33:58 GMT
We have been offered a sizable monetary gift with two small collections
attached.  The donor would like restrictive language in the deed of gift
requiring that portions of the two collections be exhibited "in
perpetuity."  We are trying to move the donor towards less restrictive
language; however, as the executor of an estate he has had two unhappy
experiences.  In both instances the recipients, a college and a hospital,
totally ignored the donor s wishes after accepting the bequest.  Marie
Malaro suggests precatory rather than mandatory language or a mandatory
restriction that can only be altered by a vote of the museum s board of
trustees.  Does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions for less
restrictive language which would offer the donor some degree of protection
and still give the museum some long-term flexibility in the use and
disposition of the two collections?

David B. Hartley
Director of Museums
South Dakota State Historical Society