From:
Andrew Reinhard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 1996 11:54:31 -0600
On Wed, 17 Jan 1996, Byron A. Johnson (813) 228-0097 wrote:

> I'd also be glad to hear from students about what they were paid (IF
> they were paid) and whether they considered it adequate.

This past summer I served a half-time paid internship with the
registration department of the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art in Kansas
City.  The internship was in its second year, was not publicized, and as
such, it did not command a lot of financial support from the museum's
budget.  I made five dollars an hour (before taxes).  The reason this
internship worked for me was that my old college roommate's parents lived
in KC and had a spare bedroom.  In exchange for mowing the lawn and
cleaning house (plus twenty dollars a week for groceries), I was allowed
to stay there for the two months I was employed at the Nelson.  Had I not
been so fortunate with finding lodging, I would not have been able to
take advantage of a wonderful working environment with an outstanding
Asian collection.

At the end of it all, I submitted a full report on my very positive
experience as an intern and was invited back to work half-time, using my
free hours to work on my thesis.  Unfortunately, the wage remained fixed
at five dollars an hour, and after two months of living with neurotic
cats and a second mother, I don't think I could commit to the above living
situation again.

I came away satisfied from the internship, thankful for new professional
contacts, a generous helping of research at a mid-sized museum, and a
couple of lasting friendships, plus a little mad money for the summer.
All that and a bucket of chicken!  Granted, I wish there was more money
available, but I count myself lucky.  There aren't too many paid intern
positions out there -- those which are publicized (like the Getty) are
ultracompetitive and the pay provides for somewhat less than spartan
living.

I hope this gives some insight, for what it's worth.

Andrew Reinhard
University of Missouri - Columbia