From:
Jill Chancey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 16:46:32 -0500
To answer your question quoted below, Mark, returning stolen work to its
rightful owner is always the right thing to do, regardless of whether they
are going to sell it, give it to a museum, or store it in the attic.
Museums have no business telling people what to do with their own
possessions.

To the original query, I would suggest checking the AAM website for info &
links:  http://www.aam-us.org/museumresources/prov/index.cfm
and you can look at our website to see how a small museum without a
provenance research budget is handling it:
http://www.lrma.org/provenance.html

Jill R. Chancey, Curator
Lauren Rogers Museum of Art
PO Box 1108