From:
Sandra Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 13:02:12 -0700
Well said, Carrie. As with any topic, we cannot stereotype any one
institution or group of people, or even the museum profession because so
many social, geographical and individual factors are involved. Many places
are doing amazing work with diverse staff members, advisors and programs.

However, when I read John Suau's comments, I quickly returned to my
experience as a graduate student when I proposed a statewide museum
informational survey on diversity issues in staffing, collections,
programming etc.

This was in a major Anthropology department, as objective as could be. Let
me just say I ran into so many "obstacles" in making it happen I "chose" to
switch topics. This was in 1988. Have we progressed?

Sandra L. Harris
Executive Director
The Liberace Foundation and Museum
1775 East Tropicana Avenue