From:
Bonnie Loshbaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2007 12:42:23 -0400
The Center for Wooden Boats is recruiting for four AmeriCorps positions for the
2007-08 service term. Positions are 40 hrs/week for ten and a half months,
starting Sept 4 or Oct 16.

Requirements:
-Must be 18-25 years old
-Have a high school diploma or GED
-US citizenship

Americorps Benefits:
-Living stipend of $925/month
-AmeriCorps members receive healthcare and if eligible, childcare assistance.
-Most members qualify for state-funded benefits such as Food Stamps.
- Payment for interest accrued on qualified student loans during the term of
service
-Upon successful completion of a minimum of 1700 hours of service,
AmeriCorps members receive an educational award of $4,725, which can be
used to pay off student loans or be put towards continuing education at a
qualified college or institution of higher learning. The educational award is
taxable.
-Training in non-profit topics through AmeriCorps

CWB Benefits:
- Close to downtown Seattle
- Work on the shore of Lake Union, go sailing/rowing on your lunch break
- Friendly, supportive office environment, including dogs
- Work on a variety of interesting projects
- Make lifelong skills

Operations Assistant (Outreach) – 2 openings
Start date: Sept 4/Oct 16
The Operations Assistant will work with CWB’s Operations Manager to improve
quality of visitor services and the productivity and enjoyment of volunteers
and staff working with the public. For operational areas which provide earned
income to CWB, the Operations Assistant will help increase revenue in that
area. Members will design and create flyers and brochures, develop new e-mail
communication strategies, and develop interpretive displays and signage.
Members will also increase The Center for Wooden Boats’ outreach and ability
to deliver programs to a broader audience, including underserved youth.

The Operations Assistant will work with a wide variety of people and must be
able to provide effective leadership to a project team. A focus on customer
service is essential. Because CWB covers a wide scope of activities which
vary by season, each Americorps volunteer will be involved in a wide range of
projects.

Desired skills:
-Able to work independently & as a team member
-Experience with community outreach/development
-Self-motivation & willingness to learn
-Excellent computer skills
-Experience working with volunteers
-Interest or experience in design work
-Interest or experience in public education
-Writing & communication skills

Communications Assistant (Public Relations) – 1 opening
Start date: Sept 4
The Communications Assistant will work under the direction of CWB’s
Operations Manager to improve the organization’s website, current and new
electronic newsletters, write press releases in a timely manner, work on
organizational publications, and help to create a sustainable marketing
strategy.

Strong written and verbal communication is a must, as is a demonstrated
ability to solve problems. The Communications Assistant will work with a wide
variety of people and must be able to provide effective leadership to a project
team. Individual initiative as well as strong team work are both key to this
position. Because CWB covers a wide scope of activities which vary by
season, each Americorps volunteer will be involved in a wide range of projects.

Desired skills:
-Able to work independently & as a team member
-Experience with community outreach/development
-Self-motivation & willingness to learn
-Excellent computer skills
-Strong writing & communication skills
-Interest or experience in journalism
-Interest or experience in marketing & public relations

Youth Educator – 1 opening
Start date: Oct 16
The Youth Educator will work with CWB’s Youth Education Manager to plan,
schedule, and teach both indoor and outdoor field trips for students from pre-
school through high school. The Youth Educator will work with the Boatbuilding
instructor to teach a variety of boat building classes to youth both at CWB
and off site at various schools. During events and during summer months, the
Youth Educator will work with and supervise youth interns and volunteers.
Because CWB covers a wide scope of activities which vary by season, each
Americorps volunteer will be involved in a wide range of projects.

The ideal Youth Educator finds joy in teaching and has strong organizational
skills, and an awareness of safety. Strong written and verbal communication is
a must, as is a demonstrated ability to solve problems. The Youth Educator
will work with a wide variety of youth. Individual initiative as well as strong
team work are both key to this position.

Desired skills:
-Able to work independently & as a team member
-Experience with community outreach/development
-Self-motivation & willingness to learn
-General computer skills
-Experience working with children/youth
-Ready, willing and able to engage in hands-on projects
-Interest in education
-First Aid certification

About The Center for Wooden Boats:
A 501©(3) non-profit since 1978, The Center for Wooden Boats has its origins
in architect Dick Wagner’s fascination with wooden boats. Dick, and his wife
Colleen, began a traditional boat rental out of their own houseboat in 1968. By
1976 the idea of a small craft museum was born and 1977 saw the first Lake
Union Wooden Boat Festival. In 1981 the Center was formally established.
Boat livery (rentals) began in 1983, and the SailNOW! sailing instruction
program began in 1989. CWB now has approximately 65,000 visitors per year,
2,500 members, 450 active volunteers who collectively log over 25,000 hours
a year, around a dozen paid staff and a fleet of over 120 historic small craft
which are displayed along a maze of floating docks and houseboats on the
south shore of Lake Union, in the heart of Seattle. Admission has always been
free.

Our educational programs are a major part of CWB’s mission to “to provide a
gathering place where maritime history comes alive through direct experience
and our small craft heritage is enjoyed, preserved, and passed along to future
generations.”  We now have 175 SailNOW! students and more than 200 people
taking part in other workshops and classes annually. Over 2000 kids got on
the water through our field trip programs and dinghy sailing classes between
April 2006 and April 2007. Community members participate in our Family
Boatbuilding program, our volunteer program, our free public sails on Sunday
afternoons, and other events. Over 15,000 people join us for the Lake Union
Wooden Boat Festival over 4th of July weekend.

As South Lake Union neighborhood expands and develops around us, CWB
expects to continue to grow, and is planning expanded infrastructure, and
construction of a new education center. We are also collaborating with both
the City of Seattle and the State of Washington on providing maritime
programming in two new parks. For more information on our programs, visit
www.cwb.org

To apply, visit the AmeriCorps website https://recruit.cns.gov/index.asp
Our positions can be found by searching for full-time positions in Washington
state, with the keyword ‘boats.’