From:
"Victor Vincent, MIAMI MUSEUM OF SCIENCE" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 15:00:35 -0500
Sandra,

I would second what has been said about access and loading docks.
But as an institution that has a loading dock that is not accessible
for tractor trailers.

We bring in traveling exhibit approx. 3 times per year, which will be
from 1 to 6 trucks in size.  To load in an exhibit we require lift
gate trucks, we rent a forklift for each load in/load out, and for
those pieces to large to roll in the double wide doors (think robotic
dinosaurs)  we need to use a smaller truck as a shuttle to our

I admire Les's institution in Columbus with an enclosed dock.  While
the extreme cold and snow are not a problem for us in Miami, during
the summer it does rain every afternoon, which we must take into
account for in our loading schedules.

We have planned a much better facility based on our our experience

Vic