From:
Christine Mouw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 13:03:38 -0500
There's a cheaper way to enlarge color photos that doesn't sacrifice
quality. They're called Cruse color prints and are done by St. Louis
County Blue Print in St. Louis. There are probably other companies
who use this process, as well, but this is the only one I know of.
It's a color photographic print that's done without a negative (I
have no idea how it works), and they can make them from prints,
slides or transparencies and enlarge the prints up to 48" x 96"
(you'll pay about $300 for that size).  They can also drymount the
prints to board for you.  I'd suggest that you have a small sample
print made to inspect before you place any large order.

The company is St. Louis County Blue Print:  1062 S. Brentwood Blvd.
St. Louis, MO  63117.  (314) 726-5500   fax:  (314) 726-2439

Christine Mouw
Assistant Curator
Herbert Hoover Presidential Library-Museum
West Branch, Iowa  52358
(319) 643-5301

>>> Cheryl Musch <[log in to unmask]> - 12/9/96 6:23 PM >>>
I'm currently working with a small museum on a permanent exhibit.
They're wondering if there's a cheaper way than shooting a negative
and printing a photo to enlarge photos for exhibits.  They suggested
possibly scanning photos into a computer or using color xeroxing.  To
me, xeroxing sounds unacceptable conservationally.  Does anyone have
any experience with cheaper alternative methods of reproducing
photographs?
Cheryl Musch
Museum Consultant
Museum of Anthropology