From:
Carol Bossert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 2003 21:36:57 -0400
Dear Steven,

There are a number of excellent books and "how to's" on museum labels, all,
I believe, available from AAM, but my belief is, if the words are important
enough to be read by our visitors, then they are important enough to be hung
in such a way (and printed in such a point size and with appropriate
contrast to the background) that they can be READ by our visitors.  To hang
labels in a way that is inconspicuous, difficult to read or otherwise
obscure for whatever reason is sending the message to our visitors that "we
really don't care about these words and you shouldn't either."  So...do you
care about your visitors or not?  That's the germane question, independent
of the exhibition type.

Carol Bossert