From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Feb 1996 15:46:29 EST
On 2/8 [log in to unmask] wrote:

>I have a great deal of problem with putting "sex traps" for clothing
>moths in the collection.  I have no desire to attract the things to
>our facility.

>We inspect for insects at least 4 times weekly and have found no pests
>in over three years of treatment with PDB.
>The napthalene products have a reputation for degrading silk which is
>another reason we use PDB.

Pheremone traps are designed to monitor the extent of an insect infestation.
They are not intended to catch and kill insects. Further information on
Pheremone traps is available from: David K. Mueller, Fumigation Service &
Supply, Inc, 10540 Jessup Blvd., Indianapolis IN 46280-1451 Phone: 317-846-5444.
He publishes a very informative newsletter called Fumigants & Pheremones: A
Newsletter for the Insect Control & Pest Management Industry.

The Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago has quite successfully used
pheremone traps to monitor specific galleries for moth infestations. Contact
Janice Klein, Registrar, Department of Anthropology for details.

Gutenkauf