From:
Christina Myatt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Aug 2005 10:06:13 -0500
I believe that we all have freedom of speech.  I believe that as
professionals we must discuss issues and understand how others are
dealing with them.

I also believe that we should be able to have frank discussions without
name calling, brow beating or inflammatory statements.

Let us learn from one another.  If one of us were to house an exhibit on
such topics, would not our visitors come from varied walks of life and
share varied opinions?  Is it not our place to educate and to stimulate
discussion amongst individuals?  Would we stand in our institutions and
belittle our visitors?  Would we offer an exhibit on a controversial
topic and not expect to recieve both positive and negative comments?
Would we openly call our visitors some of things that we have called or
insinuated about our colleagues?

All opinions are valid.  They are opinions.  Those opinions tell us
truths about those individuals.  What is real to one is not to another.
However, we need to acknowledge those differences and learn from them.
We can not just criticize that which we do not agree with or which
doesn't suit our tastes.

The opinions expressed here would likely mirror those of your visitors.
Should we not learn from that and thank each other for being frank and
honest?

I hit the delete button more often than not on this listserve.  I am
sadden my that because I feel there are some really valid and
interesting opposing viewpoints which if shared in a way that
facilitated our learning from one another could help us in understanding
 the challenges facing the museum community.
Christina M. Myatt
Theatrical Programming Coordinator
Putnam Museum
1717 West 12th Street