From:
Laura Mahoney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 09:23:51 -0400
     Adrienne,

     In the United States, there are no uniform requirements for becoming a
     personal property appraiser.  Although certainly not a requirement,
     many appraisers have backgrounds working in museums or galleries.  The
     three major appraisal organizations in the Untied States (American
     Society of Appraisers [ASA], International Society of Appraisers [ISA],
     and Appraisers Association of America [AAA]) all offer training in
     personal property appraising -- often in cooperation with universities.
      All three organizations have web pages with more information.  I'm
     currently in the Appraisal Studies Program at the George Washington
     University (go to www.gwu.edu/~cce for more information).  Lindenwood
     University in St. Louis, Missouri has a Master's degree in Valuation
     Science.

     As far as the job market for appraisers... all of the appraisers I've
     met are self-employed.   So, whatever jobs there are depends on how
     good you are at marketing yourself.

     Right now I'm taking the classes for my own personal interest and to
     enhance my resume.  I'm not sure if I'll ever be a full-time appraiser
     -- if I do I know that it will take me several years to build up a
     client base.

     Laura

     Hi everyone

     a couple of weeks ago there was a posting for an appraiser and, as a
     result, i started thinking about appraisers and i was wondering if
     anyone could tell me a bit about the profession, such as would they
     recommend it, are there many jobs in it, what is the educational
     background needed, etc. I was mostly curious.  Any info would be
     appreciated.

     thanks
     adrienne

     Archaeology Unit