From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 17:31:51 -0500
Jeanine,

19th century swords & scabbards are objects fabricated from a complex of
materials which can include steel, brass, silver, tinplate, gilding, wire,
 wood, leather, shagreen (sharkskin), and sometimes textiles.

The rule in storing, preserving and conserving multi-component objects is to
aim for stabilizing the object in regard to its most sensitive and reactive
material.  In this case the organic materials in the object would be ones I
would be the most concerned about.  An illustration of this principle would
be to provide adaquate storage in consideration of any light-reactive
materials even if the bulk of the object is composed of a steel blade.

You have to be extremely cautious when handling and dealing with extremely
deteriorated materials such as you describe ("crumbling leather"?).  Your
best bet is to leave things as they are for the time being (unless the
objects are getting drenched by a leaking roof or are getting baked-out by a
heat source), do not even try to "Dust" these things as even light mechanical
cleaning will probably dislodge more of the organic material. Call several
nearby conservators for advice.  You won't be able to do much over the phone,
they will definitely have to see the pieces.  Even though you may not have
$$$$ for a full-blown treatment, a conservator can help you with storage
suggestions and materials to at least slow down the rampant deterioration.

This sounds like a case which is probably beyond the scope of folks who are
not conservators because of the multiple materials involved and the extent of
the problem.

What I can offer you and your colleagues are a series of free conservation
care brochures which my department developed several years ago.  Just send me
your snail-mail address and I'll get them off in the mail to you.

Best Wishes,
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator of Metals & Arms