From:
Julie Moore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 14:31:34 -0500
See below for my answers...but you should know that technically we are not a
museum, we are an art education center with artmaking studios that we use
all year round, in addition to our galleries.  So YMMV.

Julia Muney Moore
Director of Exhibitions and Artist Services
Indianapolis Art Center
820 E. 67th St.
Indianapolis, IN  46220
(317) 255-2464 x233
FAX (317) 254-0486
email <[log in to unmask]>
website <http://www.indplsartcenter.org>

I'd like to know:
How many staff do you have manning your camps, working with the kids?

We have 3 age groups with one lead teacher and one assistant per age group.
The assistants are occasionally teenagers, but we prefer to use college
students.  Lead teachers must have finished college.

Do
you use volunteers or staff? Any teenagers? Is it the same staff every camp
week?

The teachers and assistants are contract employees.  We do not use
volunteers for our day camps.  It is the same staff every camp week, but we
rotate which staff does the full-day sessions vs. the half-day sessions.
Each week has a theme, so campers can sign up for multiple weeks and won't
repeat activities.

What age-range does your camp program cover?

We do post-K (appx. age 7) through age 13.  They have to have had a full
year of kindergarten--no preschoolers. Each age group is limited to 15
students. PostK-8, 9-10 and 11-13 is how it breaks down.  We get very few
13s.

Do your camp staffers plan the  material or does someone else?

We have a camp director (who is also one of the teachers) who plans the
material in consultation with the other lead teachers.  We maintain
curriculum and activity ideas in the office that they can use as a resource,
but mostly they plan their own.

How long is the camp day?

We run from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. with lunch from 12:30-1:30.  The full-day
camp runs the entire time--half-day camps are either morning or afternoon.
We don't do full-day for the postK-8 age group.

How many camp weeks do you have during summer vacation?

We go seven weeks, from the 1st week of June through the 1st week of August,
but we don't do it the week of the 4th of July if the 4th occurs on a
weekday.

Do you have any outside activities?

No, all activities occur here on site.  Some activities are outdoors--like
T-shirt tie-dye, papier-mache--when weather permits, but we always have an
indoor space available.

Do you have discipline problems with the campers and how do you mange that?

There are some, but not many.  We try to handle it within the camp staff for
the 1st difficulty, then we call parents if it persists, and we will kick
the child out after a third incident.

What kind of spaces do you have the kids working in (the museum galleries?
classrooms? auditoriums?)

They work in our studios but visit the galleries.

If you're a historical museum, do you have your camp follow the day/week of
a child in that period?
Is there free play/down time in the schedule for the kids? What activities
do you use for those times?

Lunch hour is free-play, plus there is a morning and an afternoon break of
15-20 minutes.  They play organized games like freeze-tag, swinging statues,
etc.

This year we're charging a weekly fee and not a daily fee.

We only do weekly fees as well.  The campers must bring their own lunch and
snacks.

You might also consider security issues like a sign-in/sign-out system.  We
have found that with non-custodial parents, etc. it's tough to track who
picks up without some sort of authorization form and double-check.