From:
Maria Sanchez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 12:50:43 EST
Alissa and Listeros:
I too am developing outreach programs for our museum.  We are a state funded museum so our monetary issues may not be the same.  We do not charge for our outreaches.  We have limited our outreach area to within 2 hours of drivng. We have gone to areas of California as we are close to the border.

Usually the group is limited to a classroom presentation, however an assembly is not out of the question.  What has been successful is visiting different classrooms all day long at one school. In order to reach as many classrooms as possible.

Usually the teacher has scheduled a tour and we make a visit to the school prior to the tour.  This enhances the tour by allowing the discussion of more topics.  I try to talk to the teacher before hand and ask what subject/s they would like to have emphasized when I do the outreach. I have used the Nevada curriculum standards to develop my topics.  We will also visit schools that can not schedule a tour but would like to have a classroom visit. Works great for middle schools where it is extremely difficult to take a field trip.

I am forming a teacher advisory panel that will help me set topics and evaluate programming.  It might be good to get involved with your local teachers association.  Get on their agenda for their meeting.  Might help make connections with the teachers that are really interestd in what you have to offer.

We have also done outreaches to nursing homes.  I am currently developing outreach trunks about Railroad Science and Social Issues of the railroad.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Maria E. Sanchez
Curator of Education
Nevada State RR Museum
Carson City Nevada