Date:
Fri, 1 Oct 1999 13:09:35 -0500
Here's another possible twist to your options:

The Steamboat Bertrand Museum which is about 25 miles from Omaha charges per
vehicle.  We're far enough into the county that visitors must arrive by some
mode of private transportation.  We are located on a National Wildlife
Refuge and so participate in the federal government recreational fee system
(golden eagle, golden age, golden access passes).  The fee is charged simply
for entering onto the refuge, regardless of whether they visit the museum.

We charge $3.00 per private vehicle, motorcycles the same, and theoretically
we're also suppozed to charge bicyclists, but I can't make myself do that.
Commercial buses pay $20 or $30 depending on number of riders.  School
groups are free as long as they are visiting for educational purposes;
occasionally some teachers decide they just want a day out of the classroom
and don't want the kids doing worksheets or other prepared materials - they
pay.  We also have a yearly pass sold to individuals which then allows that
person, AND the people in the vehicle with that person, in for free.
Perhaps it is not fair that a single visitor pays the same as a packed
station wagon or mini-van but most people are pleasantly surprised and are
quite willing to pay with no complaints.

It sounds complicated but it does work.  We rely on the honor system for
payment and find that many people do pay, some turn around and leave when
they see they fee signs, and some cheat (risking a $50 fine if they get
caught).

You would probably need to charge more and some of the catagories are not
applicable.  This system does release you from counting kids and arguing
about what exactly comprises a family.

Sarah Tuttle

Museum-L" (without the quotes).