From:
Thomas M Mooney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 10:13:00 -0600
Hello all,

      I just wanted to add my two cents.  I am a graduate of the Museum
Studies Program ('98) and have been working for the Archives and Special
Collections department at UNL for the last five years.  I realize that
there are serious economic problems being faced all across the country and
that Chancellor Perlman has been forced to make some difficult choices at
UNL.  Nobody wants to have their program cut.
      I feel terrible for the dedicated faculty, staff, and students in the
program.  Especially because just two years ago the University recommended
the Museum Studies program as an academic priority (with good reason).  See
the following link for more details:

http://www.unl.edu/svcaa/prioritization/jan2001/gpePage11.html

I understand that students can seek other alternatives as far as finishing
their education in Museum Studies.  The programs at Baylor and Texas Tech
have already offered to give special consideration to affected students at
UNL.
      My concern is the negative impact this will have on the museums in
the state and surrounding region.  I don't think the Chancellor or the
general public understand the amount of free labor the Museum Studies
program provides to all different kinds of museums, archives, galleries,
zoological parks and nature centers, and other cultural institutions
through internships, independent studies, and volunteerism.  By removing
this free labor force, many of the smaller organizations will suffer
greatly.  Also, many of the smaller organizations don't have the funds to
do a national search for a director or curator candidate.  They also don't
have the funds to pay enough to make their jobs attractive to outside
candidates.  Many recent graduates are willing to move from Lincoln  to
"small town" Nebraska for a low-paying job.  This probably is not the case
for out-of-state graduates.
      Unfortunately, most people probably won't notice any immediate
change.  It won't be until 20 or 30 years down the road when the public
will start to see the impact of this decision...and by then it will be too
late.  The damage will already have been done.  I don't know that my voice
will make much difference, but I'm going to try.

Thanks for any and all support.

Sincerely,

Tom Mooney

PS: I didn't even touch on the issues with laying off tenured faculty or
the "gutting" of the State Museum, but I feel that I have given you all
enough of my opinions for one day.  :-)

Thomas M. Mooney, Library Technician II
University of Nebraska - Lincoln
Archives and Special Collections