From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 12:16:11 -0400
I like Mike's suggestions here. I believe that almost all construction
mateirals are required to list VOC's (volatile organic content) are so
in the architectural specs you can specifiy lower VOC materials,
especially in the areas that are collections intensive. Conservators
can also be consulted to review potential materials and perform some
testing for organic acids. The floor tile or carpet may pass, but the
glue may not, for instance.

I always recommend that musuems take a month or more to shake down the
new building. This is not only to allow the building offgassing to
"flush" but to ensure that the building and it's systems are all stable
and in good working order (HVAC, Electrical, Plumbing and drainage,
etc.). One thing you have to be scrupulous about is in specifying that
the contractors perform clean-up that passes inspection and is signed
off by a responsible party. When I was with a major museum and we
movbed into a new collections and conservation building in the late
1990's, we had fiberglass insulation blowing out of the air ducts and
raining down on us every day at work for over a year. The contractor
had left all sorts of debris inside the ducts and with the volume of
air repalcement in the HVAC system it was continually dispersed over
the employees. And it took the engineers months to balance the HVAC
system between the various zones that were established in the labs,
collections storage spaces, and offices.

So, building in a generous shake down period, before moving the
collections in, is always good practice.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator