From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 May 2005 11:17:02 -0400
Michael,

I have not read a peer juried research paper on the topic but you could
search both the AATA (Art and Archaeology Technical Abstracts - go to
Getty.edu) or BCIN at the Canadian Conservation Institute web site.

As a professional objects and sculpture conservator with many years
experience I can relate my observations to you.

Trees and foilage surrounding outdoor art create a number of
conservation issues - from pollen to bird droppings. Also if parts of
the art work are in shade then that will leave some areas moist and
that produces corrosion and biofilm formation (mold, mildew, etc.). You
will also see drip or run-off patterns on metals and stone from the
dripping from adjacent foilage. And I think that a nut or fruit bearing
tree is self-explanatory!

Another issue are the water systems for keeping those bushes, flowers,
and trees looking nice. They often will leave mineral deposits
(depending on if you have hard or soft water) that can become quite
disfiguring over time. And also any chemicals that are used by
groudskeepers can affect outdoor art. I've also seen physical damage
done by hoses, mowers, and weed wackers that have conme into contact
with the art work's surfaces.

All of these issues create the conditions for corrosion and disfiguring
aesthetic problems that generate business for us as conservators who
work on outdoor art and monuments. I think that most of us would be
delighted if a more thoughtful and preventive approach were undertaken
so that we would not have to revisit the same outdoor art every year.or
two.

It is far cheaper to consult a conservator on your plans for an outdoor
art work and it's placement in the adjacent landscaping then to turn it
into a treatment problem in the years to come.

Cheers!
Dave

David Harvey
Conservator