From:
Trent Litchfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 10:22:49 -0600
I do realize that there are many reasons why an institution might need to
deacession items, but I wanted to make the point that deacessioning is the
result of larger problem.  Deacessioning is only a treatment for the
immediate problem.

I just wanted to point out that a major part of any deacessioning effort
should be to identify the reasons why deacessioning was needed so steps
could be taken to avoid it in the future or at least reduce how often it
must be done.  That issue had not been addressed in this thread or if I has
I missed it.  I did not mean to suggest that an intial deacessioning
indicated that an institution was poorly run or that anyone was at fault.
If anyone who has been, is, or will soon be deacessioning items (think that
covers everyone) was offended my my commets I am sorry.  My point was steps
should be taken to avoid repeated and frequent deacessioning of artifacts.