Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 12:11:48 -0400
Greetings everyone,

This morning a friend provided me with the following information concerning
the CMC's decision to postpone an exhibition featuring work by Arab-Canadian
artists.  I personally am dismayed that an institution as large and as
influential as the CMC would at a moment's notice shy away from its
responsibilities to encourage education and tolerance.  Yes - the situation
is controversial but appears that there will be more negative repercussions
for their decision than positive outcomes.  I have contacted the
administration of the CMC (noted in the message below) and I hope that each
of you will do the same.

Sincere regards,

Milena Placentile, Assistant Curator
Justina M. Barnicke Gallery, Hart House
7 Hart House Circle
University of Toronto
Toronto, ON  M5S 3H3

__________
ARTISTS PROTEST THE 'POSTPONEMENT' OF EXHIBITION OF ARAB-CANADIAN ART

"Ces pays qui m'habitent/ The Lands Within Me", presenting the work of
thirty Arab-Canadian artists at the Canadian Museum of Civilization in Hull,
Quebec, is to be "postponed" until further notice. As participants in the
exhibition, we voice our concern and outrage at this decision which was
received this week with very short notice.

The planned opening date was Oct. 18th. Exhibition preparations have been
going on for five years. We have no doubt that the tragic events that took
place on September 11th in New York and Washington precipitated the
decision, since just a few days earlier the Museum sent all the artists
letters affirming the opening date
and requesting a list of invitees (copies available upon request).

We believe that the decision was a political one. It is unfortunate that in
this time of backlashes and a rise of racist attacks against members of our
community, a federal government institution (one of the largest public
museums in Canada) is assuming such an unproductive and unsupportive
position.

In the midst of this recent wave of racism and intolerance, governmental
agencies and politicians are conducting various campaigns of cultural
awareness and tolerance. It is troubling that the Museum of Civilization is
taking exactly the opposite stance. It is postponing an important and unique
cultural event that has the potential to counteract some of the prejudices
that our community has so long endured.

The Museum has indicated that the purpose of the postponement is to provide
a "context" for the exhibition in light of anti-Arab sentiment following the
attacks on the U.S. on September 11th. We stress that this kind of "spin
control" actually encourages such sentiment by anticipating a racist
response from the audience.

We firmly believe that cultural events such as this have an important
educational and humanitarian role, and that they are needed at times like
this more then ever. By postponing or canceling such an important
exhibition, the Museum sends a message with grave implications, for example:

1) that any event involving Arab culture needs to be "spin-controlled".

2) that any present or future event conducted by or for the Arab-Canadian
community is liable to be a security risk.

3) that all Canadians are believed to hold a position of antagonism towards
the Arab-Canadian community, resulting in a risk of low attendance.

4) or, possibly, that biased, punitive, and racist collective measures have
been approved by the Museum of Civilization's board of directors.

We believe that the Museum needs to stand up and show support for the
Arab-Canadian community and to exhibit the exemplary art works made by
Arab-Canadian artists. This will help bridge the divide among Canadians and
will assist in bringing about an understanding between the Arab-Canadian and
other communities. WE ASK THAT THE MUSEUM OF CIVILIZATION RECONSIDER THE
"POSTPONEMENT" OF THIS EXHIBITION OR RESCHEDULE IT AT THE EARLIEST POSSIBLE
DATE.

WE ASK ALL WHO SUPPORT US TO CONTACT THE MUSEUM OF CIVILIZATION AND VOICE
THEIR CONCERNS @:

Dr. Victor Rabinovitch
President and Chief Executive Officer
(819) 776-7116

Pierre Pontbriand
Vice President
(819) 776-8515

Louise Dubois
Corporate Secretary and Director General, Strategic Planning
(819) 776-7115

Dr. Stephen Inglis
Director General
(819) 776-8239

Sincerely,
Rawi Hage (exhibition artist), Montreal, [log in to unmask]
Jayce Salloum (exhibition artist), Vancouver, [log in to unmask]
Laura Marks (writer/critic), Ottawa, [log in to unmask]